42 Roads

I've been re-reading the "Hitchhiker's Guide" series recently, as well as musing about the future in general. On a walk today, I drew an interesting connection. In "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy," we learn that the Answer to the Ultimate Question of Life, The Universe, and Everything is 42. That's a piece of nerd culture that's fairly well-known and appreciated by those who've read the books.

But then what is the Ultimate Question? Well, we don't ever find that out, but a suggestion is made:

How many roads must a man walk down?
So as I walked down Gayley, I thought about the other, more abstract roads I've walked in my life:

Some roads I've walked, in no particular order:

  • Child

  • Brother

  • Soccer player

  • Student

  • Football player

  • Taekwondo student

  • Taekwondo instructor

  • Writer

  • A different road for every girl I've dated

  • Computer Science major

  • Math major

  • Resident Assistant

  • Tutor

  • Web marketer

  • Roommate

  • UCLA Bruin


There are more of course, but these are just the ones that came to me immediately. But I do know I have yet to walk my 42 roads - there are many more to come. I may never again walk some of the ones above, yet there are others I'll constantly return to (and indeed, some I'll never leave).

Of course, the book is just a work of fiction (albeit a VERY good one), but I still like the general idea that you must walk 42 roads in your life (though I suppose more is perfectly acceptable). It just brings me comfort to look at that list above, and know that I have many more roads, many more journeys, many more experiences left.

I plan to walk my 42 roads. I hope everybody else does the same.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Call me a semantics freak, but wouldn't a "road" that you've walked
down (and I'll use "tutor" as my example) be more like "being a
tutor"? The word "tutor" in and of itself, is a role you play, not a
road you walk.

:P

But that's interesting...the roles I'd emphasize in myself are of a
very different nature than those that you've picked, but I suppose
that's what makes us different!

By the way, you need to keep up on this blog, ese.

Post a Comment