Valentine's Day

This is a weird day, overall. The holiday, I mean; my actual day was fairly normal, as far as weekends go. To some extent, I just don't get it.

I don't get why people in relationships make it out to be SUCH a big deal. Why do you need one special day, determined by SOCIETY, to tell you that you should express your love for one another? If you love somebody, you should be showing that all the time. And if there's any day you "should" give MORE weight to in terms of showing it, it should be something special to YOU (your anniversary, for example).

And for those who aren't in relationships? Who whine and refer to it as "Single Awareness Day"... just get over it. There's nothing different between the 13th, the 14th, and the 15th of February. Except maybe the ease of getting a table if you go out to eat. But really, sitting around moping? That's just dumb. The fact that everybody else makes such a big deal about their relationship on that day shouldn't bother you. If you're lonely, then go hang out with a friend/family member. Take your younger sibling out to dinner. Or maybe go with a group of friends, and just have fun. Don't worry about the couples - you just enjoy yourself. Don't even worry about what day it is.

Or, you can take Aubrey's advice. That works too.

Now, just to clarify a few things... I understand that there are certain times when my above advice definitely won't work. Maybe you were in a relationship that JUST ended. In that case, yeah, the stigma attached to this day will probably make it pretty rough on you. That's understandable.

Or, if you're in a relationship, the stigma will inevitably compel you to try doing something special for that special someone. And I'm not saying you should just ignore the day. When I'm in a relationship, I try to do something to acknowledge it. But I just think it's silly to put SO much emphasis on this one day.

But then again, I spent most of my day sitting on my ass, doing nothing. So what do I really know?

0 comments:

Post a Comment